Saturday 17 December 2011

View from the Co-pilot's seat

Sister has gone for some "fresh air" so I have the machine! This is now my second atte. pe at getting sometiendo on to the famous blog. I trĂ­ed last night, only to be told in the morning that for some reason, it didn't post up! We are having a wonderful time, much of it down to S's careful and efficient arrangements but having had the chance of reading said blog so far, I think a degree of clarifying would not go amiss. Firstly, I arrived at the correct platform and deny any knowledge of confusion with digits, that's what we do at work. Whilst on the subject of platforms, things did not bode well when, as I approached the barrier to get out, I could not find my ticket to put through the machine. I had definitely put it in my shirt top pocket but it was not there! Then followed an extensive search of all other pockets, backpack and wallet, supported by unsavoury muttering, but still could not find it. I wa just about to fish the printed booking ref out to show and explain to the member of staff at the barrier when It did appear in my jacket top pocket! Secondly, I do enjoy comfortable accommodation as those who have come with me on my famed, Tibet by Yakback and Welsh mining towns in February will testify. I just think it is nice to connect with the local population. Thirdly, Iberia have has a lot of trouble with their tables, that's what the stewardess reassured me anyway. Fourthly, I was completely open-minded about the clouds. Anyway, we arrived in BA. S then took me on a tour of the city to include the famous squares and sights, including numerous tango buskers. Off then by taxi, another experience, to the cemetery, passing the railway museum on the way which I made certain to point out and refer to a couple of time afterwards. Not enough apparently since after lunch, we went for some "culture" at the National Art Gallery. I must say this was impressive. Small and mainly 19thC artists but all the big names and pictures I never expected to see here. Not only big names, probably the "best in show were by a Spanish artist, Borolla, of boats landing on beaches. They were stunning, although he's not hot on trains. he next day we did go to the dock area and, yes, I did cross the road to the waterfront but only because the info board mentioned this was the area of the first settlements because it was at the mouth of a river. So, in the interests of history, I recorded said river mouth. It so happened there was a barge picking rubbish from the river, but this wa only incidental to the composition of the picture, and a (well two actually) transporter bridges but they were again, incidental. S tells me the first of the briges wa built in 1884 on the semi-cantilever principle and fell out of use in 1967 when the second wa built to take the new road. having all those issues up, we spent today viewing a glacier about which S will wax lyrical. When she does, please ignore all reference to rusty old tanker. Quick, she's back, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment